Riding Shotgun

Riding Shotgun
Enjoying a 'safe' tuk-tuk ride to Angkor Wat

3/24/2011

My second trip to Europe

After my family returned from our first full European trip abroad our summers quickly became time spent within the United States. There were dozens of road trips to the East and South (all trips started in Seattle) In fact during this time I went to just about every state west of Texas including the Dakotas, Nevada, a trip to Louisiana as well, and of course all across Oregon, and California. Most of these trips were done by way of massive truck or suburban. Each held its own charm and grew as a traveler in my own right. I was 13 when I rode a play for the first time by myself when I flew back from New Orleans. I learned that even if your parents don't believe you are getting car sick as long as you have a large pot next to you there will be a lot less cleaning and a lot more of 'told you dad'.

During these several years of national trips I not only grew as a traveler, but also grew as a person. My family became more reliant on me to figure things out for myself and this helped me learn to become self reliant. This meant creating entertainment where there was little to be entertained (you know that they have go-cart racing in South Dakota!) I was also fortunate enough to have some of my friends join me on some of these trips making now a perfect time to talk about my second trip to Europe. It was the summer of my freshmen year in High School and it had been decided that my long time friend would be joining my family on our bike trip to France and Spain.

With bikes under us my friend and I toured France in a way that can't be done with any other type of locomotion. While buses and trains shuttled tourists from one hot spot to the next we were able to take the slow roads and feel the culture with each peddle. There is something about traveling by bike that needs to be explored by even the heaviest of tourists. While the sweat and heat can be a big turn off there is nothing like earning your entrance to a historic castle after having to go up a steep road full of switch backs. After all, the only place to build a defensible castle is at the top of a hill. With that energy spent you look up at these magnificent structures and can't help but wonder what it would be like for a foot solider who charged up the same path as you to meet these fortresses. 

Just in picking a different way of travel the world around you will change dramatically. During this trip both my friend and I were able to rent a canoe and took a breath taking afternoon trip down a river near our camp site. This place is famous in my family for it was the place where my father attempted to order the canoe in French and was quickly asked if he spoke English. Since that time my father has however returned to studying the French language. For my friend and I the most auspicious moment of the trip was along the Spanish Riviera where we quickly discovered that my mother was incorrect in saying that topless beaches were full of nothing but old ladies. "There were NO old ladies on that beach!" My friend is famously quoted for saying.

Lesson learned (At the end of each post I will on occasion have a short section dedicated to giving tips about traveling as well as short stories relating to something I learned. Comments regarding these are always welcomes and questions will be fielded once a week on Thursdays)

  • Speaking the Language 
I want to state that in all my travels I have never learned a second language. This sometimes surprises people and makes them wonder how I have been able to enjoy some of my more exotic locations (Vietnam, Cambodia, and Korea being a few) The simple fact is that you do not need to learn how to speak a language to enjoy the local culture and populous. What you do need is to take the time to learn a few phrases. Some very important ones are 

1.     Hello: Make an attempt to learn a few of the more advanced forms such as Good Morning.

2.     Thank You: Always make sure to research the different ways to say this. In Asia especially using the incorrect form of gratitude can be worst than not saying anything at all. 

3.     Excuse Me: In reality I have found that the term 'Sorry' is actually universal; however, being able to say this in the local tongue will win you major points with locals. 

4.     Delicious: This is my personal favorite and in my opinion the most important. Waiters, mothers, and all those around you will beam with pride when you express your love for their food. 

5.     Local Traditions: Now for this I am not asking you to learn how to say these two words. Instead I want you to learn that every group of people holds different things in different esteem. At times this might not even require you to learn a word in the local dialect. Though out Asia when something is considered the best it is often referred to as "Number 1!" With a person holding up one finger. In other parts of the world family is especially important. For example if you plan on traveling in Italy the best little term you can have to win the hearts of the woman is to learn how to say "Beautiful Baby". 


That is all for now. Once again I wish you good health and happy travels. 

Colin S. & The Traveling Tiger

No comments:

Post a Comment