Riding Shotgun

Riding Shotgun
Enjoying a 'safe' tuk-tuk ride to Angkor Wat

3/26/2011

Off to Korea!

Several years later with two trips to Europe under my belt and dozens of national trips to fill the notches I found myself with a very special opportunity. While attending school I was lucky enough to make friends with a student from South Korea. It was during spring quarter and as the academic year came to an end my friend extended an invitation for me to visit him in South Korea. With only two weeks before the quarter ended I was lucky enough to get a green light and after some very quick planning I found myself on my way to Asia for the first time.

One interesting thing about this first completely solo adventure into the unknown was that the very first friend I made was in Seatac International Airport. I was sitting at the gate waiting for the boarding call when I began talking with a fellow traveler to my left. His name was Joey and his summer included a study abroad program in Japan which he was very excited about. He had wanted to travel to Japan for many years and with the two of us completely high on travel excitement we quickly became friends. So fast in fact that while waiting for the boarding call we talked to the attendant at the gates and were able to switch seats so that we sat together for the long flight across the pacific.

After the flight we both said our farewells and wished each other the best of luck in each other’s trips. Though out the summer we stayed in touch and shared daily stories. I am also proud to say that we have not trickled into old acquaintances. I am still in contact with him and he was even able to make it to my last birthday party. 





Joey (on the left) and myself (on the right)
Picture taken at Narita International Airport


This short story has a lesson and that would be as soon as you start your trip the people you met will just seem warmer and friendlier. Most people love to travel and are likely to be just ask excited to board the plane as you are. Take the time to introduce yourself to those sitting next to you and you could be surprised at how much more enjoyable it can make the flight. My advice, always pack a deck of cards on your carry on. During the flight to Japan I was lucky enough to play several highly competitive games of Go Fish with Joey, myself, and a young boy flying to go and visit his father stationed in Okinawa. 



I wish you good health and happy travels. 

Colin S. & The Traveling Tiger

No comments:

Post a Comment