Riding Shotgun

Riding Shotgun
Enjoying a 'safe' tuk-tuk ride to Angkor Wat

3/27/2011

Seoul S. Korea: The Seoul of Asia

Navigating airport is a simple skill that can be accomplished if you take a deep breath and remember to stay calm. English speaking assistances can be found at most airports and never start to rush yourself as you can quickly lose track of things. The worst thing you can do is suddenly rush towards a gate and leave one of your bags behind. Next thing you know a customs official is radioing for back up and your watching your plane leave while wearing handcuffs. Thankfully both Tokyo and Incheon International Airport was easy to navigate. As I was traveling during the swine flu scare there were a few extra checkpoints. Other than that; however, I was able to grab my bag and walk onto South Korean soil within 25 minutes upon arrival. 

My next task was getting to my hostel. As I had already reserved a room at Ann Guesthouse I wasn't in that much of a hurry. While many hostels are open 24/7 some are starting to have hours in which they don't take in new guests unless a reservation has been made. I took the bus from the airport just as the hostels website told me to. I then watched as the city came into view and quickly lost track of everything as the bus went into the belly of Seoul. Before I continue I think a little back ground of Seattle is needed to fully explain why Seoul 

I was born and raised in Seattle, Washington. I love my hometown and wouldn’t trade it for any place on earth. The key to Seattle’s success is in its mix of small town communities and global economy downtown. I was raised in one house my whole childhood where my elementary, middle, and high school were within walking distance. The thing about the downtown is that after 9 or 10 the city basically shuts down. Sure a few spots where the bars gather and nightclubs dance are open, but Seattle become relatively dead after dark.

This is not true for Seoul. Where night markets are where families go to gather supplies for the coming days meals. The streets are packed with cars all hours of the night and the sidewalks alive with students, families, mothers, businessmen, and stall food stands. It was so vibrating with life I completely forgot about my stop and after finally realizing I had missed my stop and got off the bus I soon found myself lost. And I wouldn’t have had it any other way because Seoul was alive and I was a part of it.

Lesson Learned

                If you ever find yourself lost the key is, and I know everyone says this, to not lose hope. Most times people are able to plan on getting lost to some degree (I tend to add about five minutes to every 30 minutes estimated time given by a travel guild book. This gives you a couple extra wrong turns before you start really getting pressed for time) As a last resort it is always an option to spend a little extra money to get you out of the hole and back on the right path. A taxi 
is usually the best option, so long as you can successfully and correctly explain where you need to go to the driver.



I wish you good health and happy travels. 

Colin S. & The Traveling Tiger

No comments:

Post a Comment